Monday, February 13, 2012

Mini apple pies

What's that you say? You're sick of Valentine's Day posts? Bummer, because here's another.

     Don't worry, this isn't anything about mushy-gushy love- it's about pie...and that's something we can all agree upon.

     I had my first real taste of apple pie when I was a sophomore in college. Yeah. I know. I'm un-American. Get over it. Last year I made a 10-step Apple Galette and it was pretty delicious...so I thought I'd do a version of it as a sweet holiday treat- but in a miniature form...and with hearts. 

                  Desserts with hearts for V-Day- super creative, right?


Here's what you'll need to make these sweet little guys
(makes 4 cupcake sized apple pies)

- 1 premade pie crust (they normally come in packs of 2, so if you're doubling the recipe it'll be perfect.
- 1 large or 2 sm/med Mcintosh apples (or similar baking apple)
- zest of one lemon
- juice of half a lemon
- 1 large egg
- 1/2  tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp flour
- 3 Tbsp sugar (more if you like your pie niiiice and sweet)
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- Muffin Tin

Before you begin: Pre- heat your oven to 400 degrees and grease your muffin tin with shortening (or spray)

Step 1: Peel your apple and cut into small pieces.. about 3/4 inch.

Step 2: Mix your apple pieces with your sugar, flour, cinnamon, lemon juice, and lemon zest.
Step 3: Cut your pie dough into circles (about 5 inches across) I used a lid from a canister I have my flour in, but a large mason jar cap would also work!
Step 4: Carefully put circles into greased muffin tin. Any rips and all the good apple cinnamon juices will escape! Just pinch the edges as you place them in and you'll be juuuust fine.
Step 5: Fill your cups full of the apple mixture- they will bake down a lot so they should be really full.
Step 6: Cut your butter into 4 cubes and place on top of your apple mixture.
Step 7: Using the scraps of the dough from the circles, cut out a bunch of little hearts and place them overlapping on top of the apple mixture.

Step 8: Brush the tops of the hearts with the egg and sprinkle with sugar. Throw in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.
Step 9: Enjoy!!!
Of course, you could make these any day of the year without the hearts on top and you'd have a delicious dessert..but I think they're a perfectly sweet and relatively non-tacky Valentine treat.

What will you be making for a Valentine's dessert? I don't care if you're spending it with your family, your cat/dog/fish, your significant other, or yourself. Make something delicious!


** psst, tomorrow i'll be sharing how we spent our first v-day a couple years ago- and no it's NOT a cutesy story that will make you gag into your breakfast- don't worry! **

10 comments:

  1. Holy crap those look good! I get irrationally annoyed with cutsie V-day desserts, but I'm making these.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha glad you like them! i saw on the blog today how you don't like v-day so i'm honored you like them!!! xo

      Delete
    2. Yeah, after I did my Valentine's Day rant I ended up deciding we needed a celebration (hubby is almost done with medical residency and we just made some pretty big decisions about staying where we are for a couple years instead of moving this summer) so we ended up having a fancy-schmancy dinner anyway. Artichoke dip, crab legs, wine. Yum. But I will say it was just coincidental that that nice dinner ended up on Valentine's Day. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh man these are so cute & look absolutely scrumptious! I really should make something cute for my significant other for Valentine's day... hmmm... Lol!

    Hope you have a fabulous week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea! I love apple pie and the little servings are great. And the hearts, what a perfect valentine's day touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YUM! I made cake batter cookies yesterday-does that count? And I'll be teaching dance, but will be feasting thanks to our 3rd grade party tomorrow. Just another plus of being a teacher :) Hope you and M have a fabulous, fabulous day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for linking up to Make it monday! I've shared your link on the Brassy Apple FB page and I'll be pinning it as well! :)

    have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ok these look amazing! and seem easy enough!
    xx

    ReplyDelete

Each and every comment absolutely makes my day! Thanks for taking the time to share some love, stop by again soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...